What Young Asian Actors Said to Michelle Yeoh: 'I Can Finally See Myself




Michelle Yeoh is everywhere


After a limited edition release and fast approaching the full release of her latest project, Everything Everywhere at Once, the Malaysian actress has promoted the release of the sci-fi thriller. She garnered some of the best reviews for her career and dominated the discourse on Film Twitter, which has already launched an unofficial Oscar campaign for the lead actress on her behalf.

“The particularity of this moment in my career is that there are many people who are like me, especially the younger generation [of Asian actors], who come to see me and say, 'Finally, I see myself doing everything. Yeh told People magazine in an interview published on Thursday. 


What Young Asian Actors Said to Michelle Yeoh: 'I Can Finally See Myself



"We have to stand up for ourselves and be brave enough to have a voice. We deserve a voice. I think at this point in my career, that's what I really appreciate — the fact that we get more chances and opportunities than we do you have." deserve."

In All, Everywhere, which premiered on Good Friday, Yoh plays Evelyn Wang, a nervous, self-confident mother and daughter and soon-to-be ex-wife who struggles with an unwanted tax audit to do her family's laundry. Through a strange twist of fate, Evelyn is quickly transported to different parallel worlds occupied by different powerful versions of herself.

In a recent interview with GQ that went viral on social media, Yeh becomes emotional when he remembers the first time he met "Daniels" and read the screenplay for A24, which was written and directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert.

 

What Young Asian Actors Said to Michelle Yeoh: 'I Can Finally See Myself


“When I read the script, I thought, 'That thing, oh my God,'” he said, stopping to collect himself


"It's something I've been waiting for a long time. It will give me a chance to show my friends, family and fans what I can do. Be fun, be real, be sad." Finally someone figured out that I can do all of these things.




Everything Everywhere at once marks Yeoh's first leading role in Hollywood in recent years, after she stole supporting scenes like the elegant and glamorous Eleanor Young in "Crazy Rich Asians" and flamboyant warrior Ying Nan in "Shang-Chi." The Legend of the Ten Rings.

"I always try not to get too involved with the character because I see him as a real person who needs real feelings," Yeoh told GQ.

“What I saw in Evelyn was a hard-working immigrant who was trying very hard to keep her family together, to be successful in her father’s eyes, to prove that she was a good girl. And I see Evelyn in a lot of people around me. I felt the need to tell his story, but...not in the usual way.” , because Daniels presented it in a psychedelic, absurd, contemporary way."


What Young Asian Actors Said to Michelle Yeoh: 'I Can Finally See Myself



Everything is always everywhere with Stephanie Hsu, Ki Hui Kwan, Jenny Slate, Harry Shum Jr., Jamie Lee Curtis and James Hong. After its premiere at the SXSW Film Festival, the curved fantasy film has a 97% rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.

"You should appreciate how advanced I am," Yeoh told the audience.


“And I appreciate it [still] because I think if I sit down and keep thinking, 'Oh, how can I do that [differently]...' No, you have to think ahead. If I'm wrong, how can I do that?" That won't happen again? It's letting go of that and moving on."

Comments